March 14, 2010

Thoughts on Giving

I've always believed in that old adage "Charity begins at home." I've interpreted it to mean that I should keep my money close to home, to help out those around me in the US - rather than sending it out of country.

One of my mottoes is "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em." It's a very stark and cold-sounding way to phrase it, I know. I don't intend to offend anyone with it, it's just that I'm blunt about things I'm passionate about. They got themselves into the mess, they can get themselves out. I've often wondered who appointed America "Keepers of the World"?

But what about disaster relief? Now that's a topic that gives me grief. Out of compassion and sympathy, do I send my hard-earned dollars to help out or do I stick to my guns and keep my money at home? I compromised with the Haiti disaster - I sent some money but not nearly the amount I send to my local causes (like food banks, foster child support, school supplies). I'm happy with the compromise but I still feel a bit of guilt about not sending more.

Steve over at bripblap.com wrote a very interesting blog on this subject. He has expressed my thoughts on the matter in a much more politically correct manner. I'm sympathetic to his angst on the subject, too. Why don't you check it out and see what his thoughts are?


No comments:

Post a Comment