September 06, 2009

I Forgot Dinner: Italian Mac 'n Cheese

Oh, hell. I forgot to take some meat out of the freezer for last night's dinner. And although we're overrun with squash right now, that's it for the garden at this time. Kinda hard to fix dinner with just squash. Plus, I want to pickle a bunch of it, so...I improvised. Big-time. I took a cruise through my cabinets and came up with this concoction that turned out to be pretty good.

Italian Mac 'n Cheese

2 boxes cheap macaroni & cheese
butter, olive oil & 0% milk
1 14.5 oz. can asparagus cuts & tips
1 10 oz. can white turkey in water
1 oz. Neufchatel cheese
1-1/2 tablespoons purchased pesto
onion powder
8 Ritz crackers

Boil macaroni as directed. Meanwhile, open & drain cans of asparagus & turkey.

While pasta is draining, in pasta pot combine cheese sauce mix, butter & olive oil (use half butter, half olive oil as called for on the macaroni boxes), milk as called for plus 1/4 c. extra, and cream cheese.

Cook over low, stirring, until smooth. Add asparagus and turkey; stir gently until hot. Stir in pesto and onion powder to taste. Add macaroni; combine. Crumble the crackers and stir in. Stir until all is nice and hot, then serve.

We ate ours with fresh cucumber slices and lowfat ranch dressing.

Do you have any "I Forgot" dinners you'd like to share? I'd love to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment